Current:Home > MyRetired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42 -FutureFinance
Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 05:03:06
MIAMI (AP) — Former Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov, who was coaching in the KHL, has died in Florida, police said Tuesday. He was 42.
Miami-Dade Police detective Argemis Colome confirmed Koltsov’s death in a statement sent to The Associated Press. Police said the death was an apparent suicide and no foul play was suspected.
Koltsov served as an assistant coach for Salavat Yulaev Ufa the past two seasons. He also was an assistant on staff for the Belarusian men’s national team.
National team coach Dmitry Baskov called Koltsov’s death “an irreparable loss.”
“Konstantin was one of the undisputable leaders of our team, a talented progressive coach, a bright player,” Baskov said in a statement. “He was an example of sturdiness, hard work, dedication and an idol for many Belarusian boys and his colleagues. It’s hard and unfair when such people leave so early.”
Koltsov played in 144 NHL games for the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2003-06 after being selected in the first round of the 1999 draft, putting up 12 goals and 26 assists. The Penguins in a statement extended condolences to Koltsov’s family and friends.
Koltsov played most of his career in the Russian Superleague, which morphed into the KHL, finishing with Dynamo Minsk in 2015-16 and going into coaching. Salavat Yulaev Ufa expressed sorrow for the death of Koltsov, who won a Gagarin Cup championship with the club as a player in 2010-11.
“He was a strong and cheerful person, he was loved and respected by players, colleagues, and fans,” the team said in a statement. “(Koltsov) forever wrote himself into the history of our club.”
Koltsov had been dating second-ranked women’s tennis player Aryna Sabalenka, who was scheduled to play in the Miami Open tournament that began Tuesday. A spokesperson for the Miami Open said late Tuesday afternoon that Sabalenka had not withdrawn from the event.
As one of the 32 seeded players in the women’s bracket, Sabalenka received a first-round bye. She is scheduled to make her initial appearance in the 2024 edition of the tournament in the second round on Thursday, when she would face the winner of a match between two-time major champion Simona Halep and Paula Badosa.
Messages sent to Sabalenka’s publicist were not immediately returned.
Sabalenka is a 25-year-old also from Belarus who won the Australian Open in January for her second consecutive title at Melbourne Park. She was featured during the Netflix docuseries “Break Point,” speaking emotionally about the death of her father when he was in his early 40s.
___
This story includes discussion of suicide. If you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (39498)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- How strong is a 4.8 earthquake? Quake magnitudes explained.
- Get Deals on Calista Hair Stylers, 60% Off Lilly Pulitzer, Extra Discounts on Madewell Sale Items & More
- Black student group at private Missouri college rallies after report of students using racial slurs
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Here's how one airline is planning to provide a total eclipse experience — from 30,000 feet in the air
- Elle King Reveals What Inspired Her New Butt Tattoo
- Brazil and Colombia see remarkable decrease in forest destruction after leadership changes, data show
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- When will the Fed cut rates? Maybe not in 2024, one Fed official cautions
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Earthquake maps show where seismic activity shook the Northeast today
- $1.23 billion lottery jackpot is Powerball's 4th largest ever: When is the next drawing?
- EPA head Regan defends $20B green bank: ‘I feel really good about this program’
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Pauly Shore and The Comedy Store sued for assault and battery by comedian Eliot Preschutti
- Plea talks ongoing for 3rd man charged in killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Lionel Messi will return to Inter Miami lineup vs. Colorado Saturday. Here's what we know
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
EPA head Regan defends $20B green bank: ‘I feel really good about this program’
Gray wolves hadn’t been seen in south Michigan since the 1900s. This winter, a local hunter shot one
3 people killed in crash of small plane in southeastern Oklahoma, authorities say
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Final Four X-factors: One player from each team that could be March Madness hero
Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
99 Cents Only Stores to close all 371 spots in 'extremely difficult decision,' CEO says